Once again the unsuitable power unit was discarded, and sometime later a petrol engine was installed, believed to have been a small, vertical, water-cooled single.
Charles Santler later recalled that this latest experiment using the steam car chassis and petrol engine was well before the 'Locomotives on Highways Act' of 1896, which removed many of the existing restrictions.
Carrying a varnished wooden body, the Santler's chassis consists of an angle-iron platform with full-elliptic suspension front and rear, and is of right-hand drive configuration with wheel/tiller steering.
Transmission is by belt, with 'fast and loose' pulleys to a countershaft and chain drive to the rear wheels.
Hodsdon restored the frame, running gear, and bodywork, but realised that a non-running vehicle was of only limited interest.
Accordingly, he obtained a 3½hp single-cylinder water-cooled Benz engine, which, with some chassis modifications, was successfully installed with the Veteran Car Club's approval.
It is believed that the petrol engine was used to power a second experimental motorcar, as reported by the Malvern News in January 1897.
A photograph taken around 1907 shows the original Santler automobile laid up in the local blacksmith's yard.? The vehicle seems then to have gone back into storage.
Mills interviewed Charles Santler and obtained paperwork relating to the car, though much of it was lost during a wartime air raid. In the 1950s, the Santler was acquired by Alec Hodsdon, a professional harpsichord maker and enthusiastic restorer of Veteran cars.As part of Malvern's celebrations marking the coronation of HM King George V in 1911, the engine-less Santler was removed from storage to take part, being displayed with a notice calling it 'Ye Old Malvern Trackless Car'. It was already laid up by the time cars had to be registered and carry an identification number, and was never formally registered by the Santlers.The Santlers went on to build a few more 'one offs', followed by a limited series of light cars in 1914/1915, these being the first vehicles they ever offered for sale.The firm also made bicycles, which it marketed under the 'Malvernia' name.Around 1887, the brothers commenced the construction of a steam-powered vehicle with a triple-expansion engine and vertical boiler, which was mounted a short rectangular frame, almost four feet wide.Analysis of the information gathered, plus detailed examination of the vehicle itself, led the Veteran Car Club Dating Committee to conclude that an appropriate manufacturing date was 1894, and that the name 'Santler' was more appropriate than 'Malvernia'.